Friday, December 24, 2010

Labor and Delivery Story

Around 4 am on the 18th of this month, I started contracting.  Poor Koli had a long day at work the day before and really didn't sleep much.  I was hurting so bad that I had asked him to stay up and time my contractions.  It was really weird.  At times my contractions were 5-6 minutes apart and then it would come in about 20 plus minutes apart?  This to me was a signal that I was having false contractions and that I was no where near giving birth.  But the contractions didn't stop.  Finally around 8 am, Koli called the after hours line for the midwifery office I've been going to so he could speak to a midwife for advice of what I should do.  As with my pregnancy with Moalana, my midwife Sandae was not on call this day.  It was the same midwife who delivered Moalana.

Koli told Gretchen (the midwife on call) my situation and she suggested that we go walking and wait it out.  She said I would know when to come in to the hospital by how strong the contractions were.  I left our room for a few minutes and I guess Gretchen had called Koli back and said she was looking over my charts and realized who I was and wanted me to come in to the hospital to get checked because of my previous pre-term labor.  So I took a shower and got ready and we headed up to LDS Hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at 10 am.  When we arrived to the hospital, we went straight to labor and delivery where the nurses where expecting me.  Gretchen had given them advance notice that I would be coming in.  I signed the necessary papers to be treated and was taken to a labor room to be checked.  The nurse who checked me told me I was dilated to 4 cm and 90 percent effaced.  She left the room to talk to Gretchen and then came back and told me they were going to admit me and start my labor for me by breaking my water.  I was asked if I wanted an epidural before or after they break my water.  Of course I picked before!  I hate pain and didn't want to feel them breaking my water.  Sorry...if this is too much, you can quit reading now...lol.

The anaesthesiologist came in and started the epidural.  Oh how I hate that shocking feeling you get in your legs and back when they start the epidural.  Ouch is all I have to say!  But I'd rather feel that short pain than feel all the pain that comes along with natural, medication free labor!  It hurts too much!  I think it's awesome that some women can have natural and medication free labor!  I'm just not one of those women.  I can't stand the pain!

Koli left the room after that to go and get something to drink from the cafeteria.  While he was gone, Gretchen broke my water and checked to see how far dilated I was.  I was at a 6 or 7 at that point and still 90 percent effaced.

About an hour later, Gretchen came in to check on me and I was fully dilated and ready to go!  With the support of my husband, midwife and the nurse helping I gave birth to my handsome son, Malakai Taumoepeau Penitani at 2:57 pm. 

Malakai and I were given skin to skin contact right when he was born.  He was a quiet one except for when they were wiping him down and examining him.  He didn't like that too much.  Shortly after, he was weighed and measured.  Baby Malakai weighed 5 lbs 7oz and was 18.5 inches long.

Oh how I love this little boy!  He and his sister Moalana are the biggest blessings Koli and I have recieved and we are forever indebted to our Heavenly Father for entrusting us with these precious spirits.  Life is good!