Last Tuesday at my prenatal well check up, I had to do the glucose screening test. I drank the NASTY orange glucose drink an hour before my appointment and arrived on time to have my blood drawn for the testing. I was told by my midwife that the test came back and my blood sugar was high and that I am also low on iron. Because of the results, I would have to take a three hour glucose tolerance test to see if I have gestational diabetes. I was given a lab slip to take over to LDS Hospital to get the testing done. I had to fast 12 hours (with the exception of water) before taking the test.
So this past Friday night at 8 pm I started the fast. The following morning, I woke up and went to LDS Hospital to start the testing. The lady at the lab told me the test would take over 3 hours. Thank goodness I live close by and didn't have to stay there the whole time. I was just told that I should not be very active during this testing process, but I was allowed to leave if I needed to as long as I was there when I needed my blood to be drawn. This is how the test went:
- 8:20 am- Two tubes of blood were drawn
- 8:57- Nurse at lab said my levels were okay from the blood drawn and gave me the orange glucose drink which had to be finished with in 5 minutes and was told every hour from 10 am to noon my blood would have to be drawn. My husband and Daughter picked me up and we went to get them breakfast.
- 10:00 am- Had my blood drawn then left with Husband and Daughter to Lowes hardware so he could pick up a sink for my mom's kitchen
- 11:00 am- Had my blood drawn (thank goodness we made it back on time from Lowes) and went back home.
- 12:00 pm- Last blood draw! Thank goodness because they were poking me in the same arm each time and now my arm is bruised! Ouch!
So after that came the waiting game! I was hoping the test results would come back normal because just the sound of "Gestational Diabetes" sounds scary and is not good for either me or the baby!
Yesterday evening Koli checked my phone messages and I had missed call from my midwife's office. They were calling back with the results. Unfortunately the office was closed by the time I got the message so I had to wait until this morning to call them.
So when I woke up this morning and the office opened, I called in to check on the results. All I have to say is......Whew! I do not have gestational diabetes! What a sigh of relief!

